JOBS@ECPR-METHODS: Postdoc in Survey Research Methods, Mannheim
Post-doctoral position for a teaching/research associate (E 13, 100%) at the Chair for Statistics and Methodology (Professor Dr. Frauke Kreuter, Assistant Professor Dr. Florian Keusch, http://sswml.uni-mannheim.de/). The preferred starting date is February 1, 2017. This is a temporary position in accordance with the German academic employment law (WissZeitVG).
Your duties and responsibilities:
- Support in teaching courses and assisting undergraduate and graduate students, especially courses on multivariate data analysis
- Collaborating on existing research projects at the professorship and initiating and conducting new research projects in the area of methods, Big Data, and data science
What we offer:
- Interdisciplinary work in a dynamic team with high scientific standards
- Participation in the Collaborative Research Center SFB 884 “Political Economy of Reforms“, especially project A9 “Survey mode, survey technology and technology innovations in data collection
- Involvement in the DataFest
- Potential to shape the curriculum of the new Master in Data Science program, a collaboration of University of Mannheim’s School of Social Sciences and School of Informatics and Mathematics
- Habilitation (optional)
- A PhD or equivalent degree in sociology, statistics, or related social sciences
- Profound knowledge in quantitative social science research methods, incl. proficiency in using a statistical software package (e.g., R, Stata, SAS)
- Research interest in methods, Big Data, and data science with applications in the social sciences
- Good command in written and spoken German
- Fluent in written and spoken English
- First publications in scientific journals and presentations at international conferences
- First experience in writing grant proposals and securing research funds
- High flexibility, motivation, commitment, and the ability to work independently and as part of a research team
As an equal opportunity employer, the University of Mannheim aims to increase the proportion of women and persons with disabilities among its faculty and staff.
Applications received by November 4, 2016 will be considered. You will need to provide:
- A letter of interest that clearly describes your background and expertise in the areas specified above, as well as the specific contributions you would make to the Professorship (should not exceed 2 pages)
- Your CV or resume
- A list of 3 professional references. For each reference, please include the person’s name, title, institution, contact information (including telephone number and email address), the capacity in which you know (or have known) this person (e.g., instructor, advisor, employer), and how long you have known this person.
- A 1-page statement of your teaching philosophy.
Please send your written application to:
Prof. Dr. Frauke Kreuter
Lehrstuhl für Statistik und sozialwissenschaftliche Methodenlehre
Applications will also be accepted via e-mail at:
Please be aware that breach of confidentiality and unauthorized access by a third party cannot be excluded for a communication without encryption.
After the application procedure, applications sent via standard mail will only be sent back if a postpaid envelope is included; otherwise they will be destroyed according to statutory provisions of data privacy law; electronic applications will be deleted.